Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Elder Olsen letter 10 March 2009

This week has been great! I love this gospel so much, The Lord blesses me so much in my life as a missionary I am not sure I deserve all the blessings I have received. First off, let me comment on the e-mails I have gotten. Mom, sounds like everyone is doing great, all the kids sound happy. The economy hasn’t really hit down here, Brazil is actually on a upraise right now.. They are doing the best they have ever done. Mom, missionaryties.com is legit... I donno how to sign up. But all the Elder´s here get there letters in two days. I get to send them for free. So I donno.. As far as sending money don´t do that, the CTM presidency steals all my money, because they don’t want Americans out walking the town with a bunch of money, and not speaking any language, apparently this is a rough part of town... so we aren´t even allowed to take our camera´s outside.. Has anyone received my letters? I sent out about 8 three weeks ago? What is the news on that? I have officially gotten two letters. It is no big deal at all that I don´t get mail Mom don’t feel bad, it is better because I get to concentrate on the language. As far as the language is concerned, it is coming along great!! I love the porugues language. It is extremely beautiful once you get used to making new sounds, allot of their letters are just liars, when it´s an I. You make a e sounds.. di, ti, de, ch, so many letters don’t really make the sound that you think they would, but once you get used to it, and learn how to accent right, it sounds so beautiful. I am loving it, I am trying to speak portuges this whole week, so English, it is pretty hard I won´t lie.. Just because it can be extremely frustrating; But I now have Brasilian roommates, that are going to Manus, which really helps.. Because I talk to them all night in portugues, and they talk to me in English, because they are trying to learn.. On Saturday my companion and I gave the entire 1st lesson in portugues, with no notes or nothing to some natives, which was awesome. I stumbled a little, in the gospel blesses families, because it is hard when you get the idea to talk about something that you haven´t practiced, but you’re not exactly sure how to say it in portugues. So I kinda made up some words I think, I was trying to tell them all about my family but it was difficult. There is this lady here at the Internet store, that last week I talked to her and her husband about the church, and she has read the Book of Mormon, both of them, and they know it is true, but they can’t give up drinking and smoking, so they missionaries in the area gave up on them I guess.. So I committed them both to go this past week without drinking and smoking, and I promised some hefty blessings, ha, but I know the Lord will back me up, but I haven´t seen her yet today, or her husband, so after this I am going to walk around town and find her.. Some of the missionaries are intimated to talk to locals on P-days, because we can’t speak well, or understand, but like I said last week, I have this ability to understand the language really well at this stage, so I just ask people questions and listen to them talk out their own problems, I have noticed that when I do they talking people really aren´t interested, but everyone loves talking about themselves, so if you just ask them about their beliefs, or how they feel about something... they can talk all day.. I think Steve told me that advice, so thanks Steve. My goal is commit three person to baptism before I leave the CTM.. haha everyone here laughs at me.. But I am going to try and commit someone today; also on Friday I get to go proselyting again so I will try then too!
I love this gospel; it has brought so many blessings into my life, especially since I have been a missionary. I have learned so much in such a short time.

I love being a missionary, there is so many blessings that I receive every single day from the Lord, there are so many miracles that I only see God´s hand in. Today I got to go to the Sao Paulo temple and it was so beautiful, Dad you would love that temple, there are so many beautiful woodworks and stained glass in the temple it is amazing. My branch president took a picture of our district and he is emailing you it, so look out for it.

Could I get a copy of my Farwell talk, by any chance? I would love to have a copy. Dad could you look up how much the Church donates a year? People in Brasil know all about the Church because of their donations.. So you should let me know money wise how much they donate. The people of the Church are incredible; they set such good examples to those people that aren´t members. I have another batch of letters that I am sending today, 6 letters total.. so look out for them.. I leave April 7th.. 28 days from now.. I don´t know if I am ready languagely.. as for gospel.. I love teaching.. I love the spirit that I feel as I teach.. I wanna teach every day, I can’t wait. Tell Elder Olsen I love his email they are amazing, and that I sent him a letter he should have it any day.

I love this work, I love being a missionary, I love the things that I receive from serving the Lord. Helamen 14:15-19. AMAZING SCRIPTURE! It is crazy how much Christ has done for us. Every day I see how much the Savior did for each and every single one of us. Through his atonement we CAN be perfect! How awesome of a thought is that!! We all need to remember to repent every day, having the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost is vital to our success as human beings, and putting of the natural man and becoming more Christ-like. I love you all. Keep praying for me, I feel the prayers, I think I am the most blessed missionary here, because I have the most prayers coming for me. I pray you every single one of you, I love you all. Helaman 14:15-19~

Amor,

Elder Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment